Saturday 7 March 2009

We’d rather have a bowl of Coco Pops…

This experiment goes out to all those single living coco pop creatures who on days alone-some opt for eating a big bowl of Coco Pops for dinner! At home. Alone.

I ate Coco Pops when I was a kid and it did take some acclimatization to sipping the chocolate turned milk at the very end of those crispy bubble crunches. Now when I moved to Hong Kong, I continued to eat these old school favourites but realized that they were not as tasty as I Had remembered them to be in Ireland. So I gave up eating them very promptly (also due to the large disliking of the replacement of fresh Irish cow-ness to the UHT milk imported from Oz).

So as it goes… same products supposedly same goodness you get no matter where in the world you are. I could start a very large conversation on the varying differences in Coco Pops between here and Ireland, Tomato sauce between the UK and the USA, Coke between here, South Africa and China, Milk between well…. No comparison when the cows actually eat green grass rather than plastic. The list goes on… 

So I will comment on my recent adventure into Coco Pop jungle. The sweet chocolatey smell still appears as you pop the cardboard flap! The crunchy, crispness is also there as I remembered with the soggy ness only creeping in at a low rate compared to other cereal favourites. I could not finish the usual childhood greediness of an 80g bowl, as the sugar standing at 38.7g per every 100g just about made my cheek muscles twitch every so often.

I will admit that I wont be grabbing another dinner with Coco the monkey anytime soon again. But most likely keep his picture in my kitchen for nostalgic purposes and for those random lazy lonely nights in!

I look forward to any comments on other foods that taste different out there!!!

2 comments:

  1. what about the other good old favourite- rice krispies with the marshmallows in them- they dont make them much any more sadly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of the old favourites recently and been checking out the supermarkets for them.... I plan to do a review of various cereals... Watch this bowl fill!

    ReplyDelete